Sunday, December 7, 2014

Space Skivvies!



I've been so eager for the release of Amy's pattern, The Watson Bra & Bikini, that I snapped it up immediately upon release.   I'm tickled by the wide range of cup sizes in this pattern and can't wait to make one up for myself --- though I'm sure that I'll fall into the category of this being a lazy day indoor bra for me!  But every girl needs a few comfy about-the-house bras!

This first set has been sewn as a gift for a very petite friend rather than for myself.  I cut the XS bikini and the bra in a 30C, consequently not much fabric was required.  So I rummaged in my knit fabric scrap bin and came up with enough bits of a galaxy printed lightweight nylon/lycra swimwear knit for the main pieces.  Though I purchased this fabric from The Fabric Fairy quite awhile ago, it still seems to be in stock.  I underlined the front band with black duoplex for stability, used black powernet for the back band and cut the back of the panties from a bit of black satin milliskin.  All the elastics, strapping, closure, powernet and rings & slides were sourced from Sew Sassy and / or Fabric Depot .  I'm a tad concerned that the band may be a little long for my small friend, and will update on fit as soon as she tries it on.

This was a fun and easy sew and during the entire process I had future versions skittering through my brain --- there will definitely be many future versions.





9 comments:

  1. Ginny, what a gorgeous set! It's so lovely. I'm sure your friend will be delighted! And the material is delightful. Is one for you next on the list?

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! It's fun, I think! My gorgeous tiny redheaded friend was delighted when I gave them to her today. We were in a public place, so no immediate try-on for fit --- she will get back to me soon though.

    I do think the next Watson will be for me, probably in some stretch lace or mesh (or a combo of those) :D. Though I need to muslin a Marlborough for my niece before she arrives for a holiday visit, so it may come after that. I'm so curious about how it will work for a busty girl since all the reviews I've seen thus far are made up in smaller cup sizes. Are you planning to give this pattern a try too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so great!

    As part of my December column about sewing trends for Sew, Mama, Sew!, I'd love to share one of your projects. I will share one photo and link to both your project and your main blog address. (you can see past trends posts here: http://www.sewmamasew.com/?s=sewing+trends )

    The post is scheduled for December 19th. As per my agreement with SMS i do need your express permission to use one of your photos, so if you'd like to be included, please respond ASAP.

    thank you!! Kelley : kelleyetg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that fabric is AMAZING!

    I'm also a big fan of this pattern, the biggest problem (for me) will just be trying to find suitable fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. That set looks great! I have thought about trying to make my own bras, but I still haven't done it yet. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool, i was obsessed with galaxy print when it first came out! I don't think I'd be brave enough to make a bra but I'm definitely keen to try my hand at underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your sets! You do amazing work!

    ReplyDelete